Have you ever been outside and thought to yourself, “Gee, it’s really sunny today. I should probably put sunscreen on my lips.” No? Thought so. Well, turns out sunscreen isn’t just for your face and arms – you should put it on your lips too! Who knew? Actually, everyone who’s ever worn sunscreen knows this. But if you’re one of those people who ponder the question, should I apply sunscreen on lips, or who doesn’t wear sunscreen, now you know?
Lip sunscreens come in all sorts of different formulas these days, so there’s no excuse not to protect your pout. Plus, they make your lips look extra glossy and cute! Win-win.
Read on to find out why sunscreen is especially important for your lips and 5 easy ways to add sunscreen to your daily routine, including our pick on the best SPF lip balms for every budget.
Why you should be applying sunscreen to your lips
Just like the rest of your skin, your lips need protection from the sun. UV rays can cause skin cancer on the lips, so it’s important to wear sunscreen every day – even on days when it doesn’t seem very sunny out.
Lip sunscreens come in all sorts of different formulas, so there’s no excuse not to protect your pout. Plus, they make your lips look extra glossy and cute! Win-win.
So make sure to add sunscreen to your daily routine and pick up a lip sunscreen that best suits your needs.
The best lip sunscreens for every budget
When it comes to protecting your lips from the sun, it’s important to find a lip sunscreen that fits your budget.
So, there is a lip sunscreen out there that’s perfect for you regardless of what you are looking for – whether it is an affordable option or something a bit more luxurious.
A lot of options to choose from? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! We’ve put together a few of our favorite lip sunscreens for your needs, all of which offer SPF protection:
(As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Full discolsure…)
1. Coppertone SPORT Sunscreen Lip Balm/Skin Protectant, SPF 50 Sunscreen: Coppertone Sport Sunscreen Lip Balm/Skin Protectant, PSF 50 for lip and skin is very affordable at $3.99. It has organic ingredients such as Aloe Vera, and Vitamin E. It also provides broad spectrum protection with an SPF 50. This lip sunscreen is water resistant for up to 80 minutes.
2. Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Color Balm, Lip Shield, Broad Spectrum SPF 30 to 50: Sunforgettable Total Protection Color Balm Lip Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 30 to 50 is available in three buildable shades. This lip sunscreen is a bit more expensive (at $25.60), but it offers broad-spectrum protection to lips and cheeks and is water-resistant for up to 40 minutes. It is mineral based, free of paraben, sulfate, phthalate, dye, fragrance, and gluten. It is also oil-free and hypoallergenic.
3. Aquaphor Lip Sunscreen (+Protectant), Broad Spectrum, SPF 30: Aquaphor Lip Protectant + Sunscreen, Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is a great choice for those who are looking for a lip sunscreen that is both affordable (at $10.07) and effective. This lip balm provides long-lasting moisture to lips while also protecting them from the sun with a broad spectrum of SPF 30. It contains vitamins and shea butter that help to help and repair dry lips. Ideal for dry, cold, or windy climate conditions. It is also paraben and fragrance-free.
4. Sun Bum SPF 30 Sunscreen Lip Balm, Broad-spectrum, SPF 30: Sun Bum SPF 30 Sunscreen Lip Balm is another great choice for people looking for an affordable broad spectrum sunscreen lip balm (at $9.99). It provides broad-spectrum sun protection with SPF 30. It is water resistant for up to 80 minutes. This lip sunscreen is vegan-friendly, gluten-free, PABA-free, and oil-free. It also contains aloe vera, vitamin E, and shea butter to help moisturize, protect and soothe lips.
5. Supergoop! PLAY Lip Shield, Broad-spectrum, SPF 30 with Coconut: Supergoop! PLAY Lip Shield, Broad-spectrum SPF 30 is a bit more expensive (at $20.00) but it is a coconut-flavored lip sunscreen that provides broad spectrum sun protection with SPF 30. It is water and sweat resistant for up to 80 minutes and contains antioxidants to help protect lips from environmental damage. In addition, it helps hydrate and repair cracked lips. This lip sunscreen is also vegan and cruelty-free. It is reef friendly as it does not free of oxybenzone and octinoxate.
Here are 5 easy ways to add sunscreen to your daily routine
1. Wear sunscreen every day – even on days when it doesn’t seem very sunny out.
2. Add lip sunscreen to your daily routine by using lip sunscreen that best suits your needs.
3. As mentioned earlier, make sure to reapply your sunscreen every couple of hours.
4. Protect your lips from the sun’s harmful UV rays by wearing a lip balm with SPF.
5. Wear sunglasses when you’re outside to protect your eyes and the skin around them.
How to apply sunscreen and lip balm with SPF
The use of sunscreen should be part of your daily routine, regardless of the weather conditions.
When applying sunscreen, more is better. Use enough sunscreen so that it takes up one-quarter of a shot glass and generously coat all exposed areas of skin. Don’t forget to apply it to your lips (using your lip balm with SPF), ears, neck, and hands. Reapply every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
When you wake up in the morning, take a few minutes to apply sunscreen to all exposed areas of your skin, ideally after your shower.
Reapply every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
- Lip balm with SPF:
Look for a lip balm with an SPF 30 or higher, and apply it generously to your lips. Reapply as needed throughout the day, especially if you are spending time outdoors.
Apply your lip balm with SPF every time you wear lip gloss or lipstick, and reapply as needed.
Remember that your lips are one of the most sensitive areas on your face, and they can get sunburned just like the rest.
Now that you know how to apply sunscreen and lip balm with SPF, make sure to add it to your daily routine. Your skin and lips will thank you for it, as you’re on your way to protecting them from the sun’s harmful rays.
Things to keep in mind when choosing a sunscreen.
- First, make sure it has an SPF of 30 or higher. SPF of 30 or higher provides 97% or more sunburn protection.
- Second, look for the words “broad spectrum” on the label. This means it protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Third, look for a sunscreen that is water resistant if you will be sweating or swimming. This will help ensure that your sunscreen stays on, even if you sweat or swim. check the manufacturer’s instructions to see how often you need to reapply.
- In addition, choose a sunscreen that is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog your pores.
- Furthermore, make sure the sunscreen is appropriate for your skin type
- And finally, choose a sunscreen that is not expired and has been stored in a cool, dry place.
Don’t forget to apply lip balm with SPF! When choosing a lip balm with SPF, look for one with an SPF
Just like you need to protect the rest of your body from the sun’s harmful UV rays, you also need to protect your lips. Make sure to add sunscreen and lip balm with SPF to your daily routine, and choose a product that best suits your needs. Sunscreen should be applied every day – even on days when it doesn’t seem very sunny out – and reapplied every couple of hours. Lip balm with SPF should be applied generously and often throughout the day.