Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer has been classified as one of the best rated sunscreen brands that’s non-toxic.
This review is necessary to expose whether Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer truly falls into the category of one of the best rated sunscreen while comparing it to another top rated sunscreen brand – Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40.
(As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Full disclosure…)
Good and Bad of UV rays
Having the sun is a blessing – it comes with a lot of benefits for life on earth. The sun is the major source of ultraviolet (UV) ray.
UV ray comes with the good and bad.
It’s important for the synthesis of vitamin D, improving mood as well as energy production.
We need a small amount of sun exposure daily to access the benefits of UV ray. However, excessive exposure is not good and can lead to long term sun damage as follows;
- skin cancer.
- premature aging of the skin.
For acne affected or acne prone skin, excessive exposure to UV ray can cause;
- worsening of acne
Factors that may affect your exposure to sun include the amount of solar energy in your geographical location, your skin type, frequency of reapplication of sunscreen, amount of sunscreen you apply, resistance of the sunscreen to water.
Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer VS Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
|Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil free Moisturizer||Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40|
|Global rating on Amazon||4.0 out of 5 star rating||4.7 out of 5 star rating|
|Level of protection||SPF30 – confers high UV ray protection||SPF40 – confers high UV ray protection|
|Percentage of UV ray blocked||Blocks 96.7 per cent of UV rays||Provides 97.5 per cent protection against UV rays|
|Broad spectrum||Provides broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays||Provides broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB. Also, it protects against IRA rays as well as blue light emitted from electronic devices|
|Added benefits||Hydrates the skin. Claims it can be mixed with or used as a primer for the Phyto-Pigments Flawless Serum Foundation||Can generally be used as a primer for make-up. It hydrates the skin|
|Main UV ingredient||Zinc Oxide – made with naturally occurring mineral||Avobenzone – a chemically formulated compound|
|Frequency of application||Apply 15 minutes before sun exposure, reapply every 2 hours. Not water resistant.||Apply 15 minutes before sun exposure, reapply every 2 hours and 40 minutes of swimming or sweating|
|Texture/Consistency: thick cream||Creamy – more on towards a thicker consistency||Light gel|
|Organic, vegan friendly, gluten free, reef safe, cruelty-free||It’s USDA-certified organic, vegan friendly, reef safe and cruelty-free||Considered clean but not certified as organic. However, it claims to be cruelty and gluten free.|
|Price||$32.00 for a 60ml tube||$36.00 for a 50ml tube|
|Oil free||It’s oil free||It’s oil free|
|Used as a moisturizer||It’s moisturizing||It’s moisturizing|
|Skin type||ALL- Sensitive, oily, dry, normal and combination.||Normal, dry, combination and oily.|
Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil Free Moisturizer: Ingredients and benefits
Juice Beauty Sunscreen Ingredients
It provides broad spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays.
It also provides soothing effect.
Ingredients with benefits for acne-prone skin
Aloe Leaf Juice (Organic):
It contains glycoprotein – this promotes skin regeneration, including collagen. It also helps with hydrating the skin, as well as maintaining the skin’s natural moisture.
Contains ellagic acid with potent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and skin lightening (blocks enzyme that synthesizes melanin) effects
Also contains polyphenol: It can help brightness. Has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect with some DNA repair activity – confers protection against DNA damage that may occur from exposure to UV rays.
It contains in minerals and vitamins with powerful antioxidant properties. Also, it provides soothing and hydrating effects. Helps with preserving the skin natural moisture.
Full List of Ingredients: Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil-Free Moisturizer
Special Ingredients: Aloe Leaf Juice, Pomegranate and Algae.
Sunscreen ingredient + others: aloe barbadensis (organic aloe juice), caprylic/capric triglyceride, pyrus malus (organic apple juice), vitis vinifera (organic white grape juice), sorbitan stearate, polyglyceryl-10 laurate, magnesium sulfate, tocopherol (Vitamin E), magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (Vitamin C), sodium hyaluronate, punica granatum (organic pomegranate juice extract), algae extract, cucumis sativus extract (cucumber extract), panthenol (Vitamin B5), citrus medica limonum (lemon fruit extract), iron oxides, phenethyl alcohol, ethylhexylglycerin, citrus reticulata (mandarin oil), citrus aurantium (petitgrain oil).
Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40: Ingredients and benefits
Supergoop Sunscreen Ingredients
This is the main sunscreen ingredient used in this product. It limits the impact of UV rays on the skin by blocking UVA I, UVA II and UVB.
Other sunscreen ingredients:
Homosalate, Octisalate and Octocrylene are less potent UV filters/absorbers than avobenzone but also synergistically provide UV ray protection.
Ingredients with benefits for acne-prone skin
Known to have a lot of benefits, frankincense has soothing effect on irritated skin, in addition to antibacterial and anti-inflammatory function. It can help with reducing the appearance of blemishes and scars. It also helps to tigten the skin – thus helping with wrinkles.
Meadowfoam Seed Complex:
It helps with skin texture. It hydrates and softens the skin, prevents your skin from loosing moisture. It can also help with natural sebum production.
It helps to protect against blue light emitted by your electronic device.
It is also ideal for acne prone skin, as it has antioxidant effects that help to fight against free radicals that are damaging to the skin. Acts as an exfoliating agent – removing dead skin cells that can potentially clog your pores. It helps to hydrate and nourish the skin.
Full list of ingredients: Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
Special Ingredients: Frankincense, Meadowfoam Seed Complex and Red Algae
Sunscreen Ingredients + Others: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 8%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 4%, Isododecane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Isohexadecane, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Meadowfoam Estolide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polyester-7, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Lithothamnion Calcareum Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Jojoba Esters, Mannitol, Olibanum, Lecithin, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Diatomaceous Earth, Zinc Sulfate, Silica, Tocopherol.
Pros and Cons: Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil free Moisturizer
8 Pros of Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil Free Moisturizer
- Provides broad spectrum and high protection for UV rays.
- Ingredients are clean and safe – a plus for those who are health conscious, as its ingredients are either USDA-certified organic or plant derived.
- Great for sensitive skin – Its main sunscreen ingredient is zinc oxide which is known to be well tolerated.
- Zinc oxide is photostable – it will not break down into toxic substances under exposure to UV rays.
- Less likely to cause skin irritation than other sunscreen ingredients.
- Doesn’t penetrate intact skin – less likely to cause skin irritation.
- Good for acne-prone skin.
- Can be applied on children (Zinc Oxide as a sunscreen ingredient is recommended for children unlike organic sunscreen ingredients). However, for children less than 6 months, consult your doctor.
4 Cons of Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil Free Moisturizer
- Doesn’t glide onto the skin – consistency leans more on the thicker side, making it harder to apply.
- Leaves a white cast – this is primarily due to the nature of zinc oxide (however, recent technology uses zinc-coated nanoparticles to reduce the problem of agglomeration).
- Not great for tanned skin – white cast becomes more obvious on darker skin.
- May cause skin irritation if you rub too hard during application process. You may need a serum or mix with another moisturizer if you have acne – for easier application.
Pros and Cons: Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
4 Cons of Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
- Provides broad spectrum and high protection from UV rays and blue lights emitted by electronic devices.
- Glides well onto the skin – making it easy to apply.
- Doesn’t leave any casts.
- Great as a primer for make-up.
2 Cons of Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40
- Not be great for you if you have sensitive and very dry skin.
- Can potentially cause contact dermatitis due to the sunscreen chemicals that have been used.
My Verdict – the winner sunscreen!
The WINNER sunscreen product for me on this occasion is Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil free Moisturizer.
I have chosen Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil free Moisturizer over Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40 because its safety profile which is a deal breaker for me. Also, It is better tolerated, making it more ideal for children due to zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is photostable, doesn’t penetrate intact skin and less likely to cause irritation or allergy.
However, if you compare on other points like versatility of use (e.g. as a primer for makeup), gliding ability, use without being noticed on the skin (i.e. no cast left) etc., then your go to will be the Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40.
On Pricing and protection against UVA & UVB (i.e. both have broad spectrum protection), they both compare very well.
11 Sunscreen Tips
1) Think UV, not heat – sunscreen is recommended when UV index is 3 or greater even on not so sunny days.
2) Choose a broad spectrum sunscreen product – protects against both UVA and UVB
3) Apply generously to optimize protection as claimed by the product.
4) Apply sunscreen to EVERY part EXPOSED to sun including those areas that you can easily miss – your ears, back of your neck, your exposed scalp/hair line, your feet and behind your knees
5) Apply sunscreen 15 – 20 minutes before heading out and reapply every 1 – 2 hours or according to manufacturer’s direction.
6) Limit time spent in sun – sunscreen doesn’t give you leverage to spend unlimited time in sun.
7) Sunscreen is not a replacement for wearing clothes. Don’t forget your hat and sunglasses too.
8) Sunscreen being water resistant means it doesn’t wash off during swimming as long as you don’t wipe it off. It doesn’t mean waterproof. It will eventually wash off – so note how long (e.g. 2, 3 or 4 hours) your sunscreen can remain water resistant for. However, good and safe practice is to reapply sunscreen every 1- 2 hours or according to manufacturer’s direction.
9) Reapply sunscreen after swimming, profuse sweating and wiping with towel.
10) Naturally occurring mineral-based sunscreens such as Zinc Oxide or Titanium Oxide are generally recommended for children unlike chemically formulated “organic” sunscreens such as avobenzone, oxybenzone or derivatives of salicylate and cinnamic acid.
In this case, organic doesn’t mean it’s naturally grown. It refers to their compounds being made of carbon and hydrogen bond
11) Consult your doctor for children less than 6 months before applying any sunscreen.
Note: In Australia, the slogan for protection against UV ray is slip, slop, slap – Slip a shirt on, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat.
I’ll like to hear your thoughts on this. Leave your comment below and I’ll get back to you ASAP.